While you may not have kept every New Year resolution in 2015, we’ve decided to compose the top 5 tips to stick with your New Year resolutions on how to get off to the perfect start for 2016!
- Invest in a planner. Get on top of your organisation and use your planner to schedule tasks, outings, to-do lists, errands and upcoming occasions. Focus on one goal at a time, and always set deadlines that are realistic. Break big goals up into smaller manageable chunks and work towards achieving each step, one mini goal at a time. Having a planner as a visual aid will be a constant reminder to keep you on track and attaining what needs to be done.
- Spring clean your home. Go through your drawers and throw out all your rubbish, things you no longer need or use and those hoarded nick-knacks. Clean out your wardrobe and donate your unneeded clothes to charity. Give the inside of those kitchen cabinets a good spray and wipe and make sure every item has an allocated space to call home.
- Contact your friends and family. When was the last time you actually gave them a phone call or text message rather than viewing their activities on Facebook’s newsfeed? Even better is catching up in person! Get in touch and reach out to people you haven’t spoken to in a while and who knows, maybe it will open a new door or a few new opportunities will arise. Talk about your goals and tell people what you are working towards. You are more likely to act on something people are expecting you to do.
- Do a random act of kindness. What goes around comes around- and karma comes to those who deserve it. Not only will you feel good about yourself but you will also show the festive spirit. Pick up that fallen box of cereal in the supermarket aisle, let that person in front of you when you’re driving or why not spend a day doing volunteer work. Helping others will make you feel better about yourself, especially if you’re having a bad day.
- Reward yourself. Enjoy the little things, so take time to stop and smell the roses. Take a minute or two away from the hustle and bustle of life and simply breathe. Do something you enjoy and make time for you to revitalize, even if it’s just completing a crossword over a nice cup of tea or upgrading your body soap in the shower. Keep a journal reflecting on your journey and your achievements, so that you can look back and see how far you have come. Celebrate each milestone to keep you feeling positive and motivated about what you have achieved and what you are working towards. Plan personal rewards for each achievement for extra incentive.
New Years resolutions can be hard to keep especially with family, work and time restraints but with these tips to help you stick with your New Year resolutions, you will be heading the right way into 2016.